Press & Events
Press & Events
Press and Publications
April 2021 Alison appears in Prima Magazine
- Alison shared the story of how she was adopted at aged 3 months old, and how her adoptive parents taught her kindness, compassion and to always believe in yourself. You can read the full story here.
March 2021 Alison appears in FRUK Magazine
- Alison was honoured to be mentioned alongside so many other inspirational women in a feature for International Women’s Day 2021. You can read her story and those of many other fabulous women here
March 2021 Alison appears on Midlands Today
- Alison was thrilled to be featured on Midlands Today as part of World Book Day, with her virtual Dreams Workshop which she delivered to the children of Shirestone Academy in Tile Cross. Check out out the newsreel here.
March 2021 Alison chats with Mayor of Bromley, Cllr Hannah Gray
- Alison recently had the opportunity to talk with Cllr Hannah Gray as a guest on Cllr Gray’s regular podcast.
As a councillor Hannah has been a member of the Children, Education and Families Committee, Public Protection and Safety Committee, on the Fostering Panel. Cllr Gray’s values align perfectly with those of Little Bird so Alison was honoured when she was asked to appear on the podcast to discuss her work with Little Bird Dreams Workshops.
Click here to listen to Alison talk about how Little Bird’s Dreams Workshops support children to believe in themselves and their dreams
March 2020 Alison is a guest on Nikki Tapper’s show on Radio WM
- Alison was thrilled to be welcomed back to BBCWM last Sunday evening to talk with host Nikki Tapper and share some exciting news about one of Little Bird’s new collaborations. Little Bird is extremely proud to partner with Wesleyan, one of Birmingham’s oldest and most respected financial services provider, to support The Pines School in North Birmingham.
- The Pines works with young people across Birmingham from nursery to year 8 who have a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC). Their vision is to create a safe and happy environment for their children to develop life-long communication skills to become a valued member of modern day society.
- These values align with those of Little Bird, whose mission is to build resilience, self-belief and confidence in little birds all over the world.
- The Little Bird Dream Team will deliver a number of workshops to the children of The Pines once they return to school and look forward to exploring their dreams.
November 2018 Alison is a guest on Lewella Bailey’s show on Radio WM
- Alison shares the story of her adoption and how her parents influenced her childhood. She also shared her journey to becoming a successful entrepreneur and author.
September 2018 Alison and Little Bird nominated for TWO Best Business Women awards!
- Alison and Little Bird have been nominated for not one but TWO awards from the Best Business Women team
July 2018 Alison has made the shortlist at the Forward Ladies Regional Awards
May 2018 Five Effective Ways to Build Your Personal Brand
- Alison’s latest article for Midlands Business News will help you transform and grow your personal brand
April 2018 How you can help your children improve their literacy skills
- Alison’s latest article for Midlands Business News gives some fantastic tips on how parents and guardians can help to their children’s reading skills.
March 2018 Little Bird is shortlisted for a West Midlands Business Masters Award
- Alison and Little Bird have been shortlisted for the Contributing to the Community Award at West Midlands Business Masters. Watch this space on Thursday 3rd May to see how we get on!
February 2018 Why we need to look beyond Children’s Mental Health Week
- Alison’s new regular feature in Midlands Business News. This week she explores what we can do to continue the awareness beyond the confines of just one week
January 2018 The Kiri Question – White families and black adoption
December 2017 Little Bird wins the Outstanding People Development Award!
December 2017 Christmas comes early to Birmingham’s YMCA nurseries
- Little Bird made a flying visit to the three YMCA nurseries located around Birmingham to deliver a copy of Alison’s book ‘Little Chick has Lunch on the Moon’ to each child
November 2017 Alison and Little Bird have been nominated at the Asian Business Chamber Awards
August 2017 Alison’s guest blog post over at Mini Me Yoga
- Alison features in a guest blog post at Mini Me Yoga which supports children on a daily basis to build their confidence, positivity and self esteem through the use of imagination and creativity.
March 2017 Made in Birmingham World Book Day Conference Coverage
March 2017 Midlands Business News
November 2016 Birmingham Airport News
September 2016 Bury Times
The Baby Website
March 2021 - Shirestone Academy Virtual World Book Day Dreams Workshop
After a year of uncertainty due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Alison was keen to find a way to deliver her annual World Book Day Dreams Workshop. Working with the team at Shirestone Academy, headed by the incredible Mr Bashir, together they devised a way for Alison to appear ‘live’ to the children to talk to the children via the power of Zoom and Jam Board!
After an early start with an appearance on BBC Radio WM which you can listen to by clicking here, Alison appeared ‘live’ with the in-school bubbles, reading her book Little Chick has Lunch on the Moon and talking to the children about their dreams for the future.
Then she hopped over chat with each year group on their Jam Boards, and finished the day with an appearance on Midlands Today with Mr Bashir…phew! Check out the feature here.
All of this was possible thanks to the generous support of Wesleyan who have sponsored the day. Because of their support, every child at Shirestone received a copy of Little Chick has Lunch on the Moon, and the same number of books will be donated to women’s refuges in the Birmingham area.
March 2020 Coleshill Heath Dreams Workshop & Gender Bias Workshop.
Alison and the Little Bird Dream Team made one of their regular visits to Coleshill Heath School to visit Year 4 and 5. With the help of Nikki Tapper from BBC Radio WM and Sarah Harley from the Birmingham Airport Fire and Rescue service, Alison facilitated a wonderful day of exploring the children’s dreams and breaking down gender bias. Victoria Birmingham from Birmingham City University joined the Dream Team to observe and document the impact that Dreams Workshops are having on the children that Little Bird works with.
May 2019 HSBC ConnectUs Graduate Event
Alison had a fantastic evening at the HSBC ‘Congratulations’ event in London. This celebration was for graduates who have taken up a destination role in the last few months with HSBC, to congratulate them on their first appointment and provide them with support as they develop in their first role.
Alison delivered an interactive workshop to focus on how to consciously understand and influence stakeholders whilst retaining integrity to gain win/win outcomes, and the feedback from the graduates was incredibly positive
April 2019 Women in Tax
Alison was invited by KPMG andP inset Masons to deliver a workshop to the West Midlands Women in Tax group, which enabled them to explore career aspirations and the possibilities for progression in their chosen profession.
March 2019 Hampshire Headteachers Conference
Alison experienced a fantastic day as one of the guest speakers alongside Dame Esther Rantzen at the Hampshire Headteachers Conference. A day full of inspirational messages and examples of how we’re really making a difference for children in education.
March 2019 West Midlands Women’s Voice International Women’s Day Event
Alison was truly honoured to take part in the West Midlands Women’s Voice International Women’s Day event on 6th March. Amongst the speakers were Dr Helen Pankhurst CBE, Andy Street and Sam Smethers, CEO of the Fawcett Society. Alison took part in a panel session discussing how Music and Art can help make positive changes within communities, and how the impact of literacy can be life changing. Also on the panel were Tru Powell from Aston Performing Arts Academy, Laura McMillan from Coventry UK City of Culture 2021, Mary Wakeman Sloan from Birmingham Town Hall and Symphony Hall, Dr Sarah Browne from University of Wolverhampton and Marika Bee, singer, songwriter and founder the YAP Network..
January 2019 Corporate IT Forum ‘Taking Control of Your Career’ Seminar
It was a pleasure to be a speaker at CITF #TakingControlofYourCareer event. Alison shared her thoughts about how ‘It’s time to ‘turn up’ in your career, talking to the delegates about how achieving your career goals requires a strategy and a plan. Successful people invest the time to create and adjust their strategy which is essential if we wish to remain relevant in this rapidly changing world of work. The seminar gave delegates the opportunity to help shape their future by taking their work and career potential into their own hands and developing new confidence and ability to position themselves for success.
January 2019 A Return to Chantlers Primary School
Alison returned to one of the very first Little Bird Ambassador schools, Chantlers Primary School in Bury to meet the Little Chicks in Reception who are at the very beginning of their exciting learning journey! During the Dreams Workshop, Alison read her self-published book, Little Chick has Lunch on the Moon and encouraged the children to join in with some lively story telling. Afterwards, the children were encouraged to explore their dreams for the future and share these with the class.
Last year Chantlers won two national awards from the Schools, Students and Teachers Network for being one of the best performing schools in the country. They were awarded the ‘Educational Outcomes Awards for Children’s Attainment – top 20%’ and ‘Children’s Progress – top 20%’ which recognises their significantly higher than average levels at KS2
More recently the school was recognised in national league tables for exceptional progress in their Key Stage Two SATs results. Children at the school made well above average progress in reading, writing and maths — one of only two schools in the borough to record such an achievement in all three subjects.
July 2018 Corporate IT Forum ‘Culture in Action’ Conference
It was a pleasure to be a speaker at CITF #CultureInAction Conference and hear the thoughts from leaders across 30 organisations on the importance of Leading With Empathy and how to develop our leaders with the skills to do this effectively. We typically don’t encourage conversations about how we’re feeling in the workplace yet we see an increase in emotional and physiologically related absence and mental health issues continue to soar! Do you think we’re doing enough to support our people?
April 2018 Mitie Foundation’s ‘World of Work’
Little Bird joined The Mitie Foundation’s ‘World of Work’ event at Greenwood Academy in Birmingham. It was an interactive challenging day helping students understand the world of work and inspiring our young people to be all they can be.More recently the school was recognised in national league tables for exceptional progress in their Key Stage Two SATs results. Children at the school made well above average progress in reading, writing and maths — one of only two schools in the borough to record such an achievement in all three subjects.
March 2018 Birmingham Young Professionals Network
Brilliant insights into meaningfulness, self awareness & leadership from Alison at the Birmingham Futures event. Key takeaway of the night: believe in yourself, challenge the perceived limitations, align your core values with your mission & make an impact. With awareness comes change.
March 2018 World Book Day Dreams Workshop at Shirestone Academy
Alison and Little Bird hosted a very special World Book Day themed Dreams Workshop at Shirestone Academy in Birmingham, sponsored by Little Bird’s corporate partner Birmingham Airport.More recently the school was recognised in national league tables for exceptional progress in their Key Stage Two SATs results. Children at the school made well above average progress in reading, writing and maths — one of only two schools in the borough to record such an achievement in all three subjects.
January 2018 #WomenEd Career Development Keynote and Workshop
Alison presented her journey to a packed assembly hall at Coleshill Heath School. Teachers, business women and entreprenuers listened to how Alison’s family and loving upbringing helped her create Little Bird and is the motivation for all the fantastic work she does to empower children and adults.More recently the school was recognised in national league tables for exceptional progress in their Key Stage Two SATs results. Children at the school made well above average progress in reading, writing and maths — one of only two schools in the borough to record such an achievement in all three subjects.
October 2017 National Education Show, Cardiff
Keynote seminar and workshop delivered to Teachers and Educators from all around the UK on the importance of never letting go of your dreams, and how we can encourage children to feel the same. Click here for a video of the Workshop
June 2017 Life Ready Celebration Event
Delivering a talk to Teachers, Educators and Business Leaders from around Birmingham on the importance and the impact of Little Bird’s Dreams Workshops
March 2017 Little Bird World Book Day Celebration
Delivering a Confidence Building and Self-Belief workshop to children from Little Bird schools around the country.
January 2017 Coleshill Heath Library Opening Day
December 2016 Visiting Birmingham Childrens Hospital with Santa to donate Little Chick books
May 2016 AquaSource, Bulgaria
March 2016 Ronald MacDonald House Book Reading
January 2016 Utility Warehouse